Here is a collection for die-hard country fans, for people who shudder at the words “country music,” and for every person in between. A mix of classics and new hits, this playlist will make you want to purchase a pair of cowboy boots.
1) “On the Road Again” by Willie Nelson
This is the perfect road trip song and essential for every car playlist.
2) “Walk the Line” by Johnny Cash
This classic was his first number one hit and will definitely be a hit for you too.
3) “Country Boys can Survive” by Hank Williams Jr.
Although this hit only reached number two on the Country Billboard, I’m sure it will reach number one in your heart.
4) “Jolene” by Dolly Parton
This song may not have many words, but the context and rhythm will have you hooked.
1) “Colder Weather” by Zac Brown Band
The melody is soothing and the best part is the meaning of the song differs for almost every listener.
2) “Take Me Home, Country Roads” by John Denver
The Academy remixed this song in 2016, but the original still has everyone’s heart.
3) “Gone Country” by Alan Jackson
A song about all of you after listening to these songs.
4) “Three Wooden Crosses” by Randy Travis
While this song is sad, it mixes religious imagery and country to remind everyone to appreciate every day.
1) “Where Were You” by Alan Jackson
Written after 9/11, this song will bring tears and American pride.
2) “Paint me a Birmingham” by Tracy Lawrence
This slow song captures broken plans for the future and heartbreak.
3) “Letters from Home” by John Michael Montgomery
A good cry is sure to come from this number two hit about letters to soldiers overseas.
4) “Here Comes Goodbye” by Rascal Flatts
No one likes goodbyes, but everyone has experienced them, and this song helps put those feelings into words.
Country Rap (Yes, this is a thing and I am here for it)
1) “Cruise” by Florida Georgia Line and Nelly
Nelly has taken the country world for a spin and his tour with Florida Georgia Line in 2017 brought some change to the music world.
2) “Ride Through the Country” by Colt Ford
A song about where he comes from and a great catchy rap to sing along with.
3) “Keep it Redneck” by The Lacs
Nothing else gets you feeling country quite like a guy rapping in a pair of overalls.
4) “Old Town Road” by Lil Nas X and Billy Ray Cyrus
This song has taken over Twitter and its catchy rhythm will get you in the party mood.
Kate’s Top Picks
1) “T-Shirt” by Thomas Rhett
My summer anthem. Imagine this: windows down, hair flying, and music blaring.
2) “Blue Ain’t Your Color” by Keith Urban
Urban has a way with words in this one and captures the sadness that can be seen at any barstool.
3) “Courtesy of the Red, White and Blue (The Angry American)” by Toby Keith
Written after 9/11 and his father’s death earlier that year, Keith’s song honestly should be yelled at the top of your lungs.
4) “Whiskey Lullaby” by Brad Paisley
This slow one captures the harsh reality of breakups and portrays a very sad ending to a relationship.
This playlist has a bit of everything in it. Country music has a way with words and is starting to mix more with other genres, so whichever song you listen to, you are sure to find one that speaks to your heart.
Katelyn LaScola is 19 years old and attends James Madison University. She is double majoring in Writing, rhetoric and technical communication as well as media arts and design. Between running her own blog and studying constantly she makes time for her friends and family as much as possible. She likes to stay busy and will not be seen without her planner in hand. She hopes to help end the stigma around mental health and encourage others to become leaders wherever they may be.